From Fabian Jacquet <fabian.jacq...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: link error in release mode with Visual Studio 2008
Date Fri, 07 May 2010 13:26:34 GMT
<venting frustration>
Why my boss don't want I develop for MacOS X ? :-)
</venting frustration>

The class d├ęclaration must be __declspec(export) when you compile the dll
and must be __declspec(import) when you include .h from this dll. So it's
correct in your error message.
It's possible that the missing symbols declarations didn't have
__declspec(export) when you compiled log4cxx.dll

Did you take sources from SVN? I compiled the source downloaded from the web
site with VisualStudio 2008 without any problem.

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 14:12, Jean-Denis Muys <jdmuys@mac.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> I don't know any tools to check symbols. I think you could check with
> notepad, you can search about "getLogger" by example but if you find it, I
> don't know if you can conclude that the symbol is right exported. If you
> don't find it, I think the problem comes from the lib :-)
>
> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 11:08, Jean-Denis Muys <jdmuys@mac.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for answering. I wish the solution was that simple. I apologize for
>> not explicitly mentioning it, but my project is - I think - set up
>> correctly.
>>
>> That is:
>>
>> - both the Debug and Release configurations mention log4cxx.lib in its
>> Linker>Input>Additional Dependencies
>> - both the Debug and Release configurations mention a *different*
>> directory in Linker>General>Additional Library Directories. They are
>> different because they point to the Debug version and the Relase version of
>> loc4cxx respectively (apache-log4cxx-0.10.0\projects\Debug
>> and apache-log4cxx-0.10.0\projects\Release)
>>

>> Of course both configurations of log4cxx were previously built with no
>> failure (from its Visual Studio project). They were built in "DLL" mode as
>> explained on the log4cxx web site. While doing a static library version is
>> on my todo list, I'd rather solve the present issue first.
>>
>> At this point in time, I suppose the 13 missing symbols are present in the
>> Debug version of the log4cxx.lib stub library, but not in the Release
>> version. How can I verify this hypothesis? What could explain that? How can
>> I fix it?
>>
>> Another hypothesis might be that there is yet another dependency that
>> needs to be set in Release mode only. This seems less plausible though. And
>> what would it be?
>>
>> Again, thanks for you answer. Any other idea on how I could make progress
>> on this issue?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Jean-Denis
>>

>> On May 7, 2010, at 10:29 , Fabian Jacquet wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The project configuration is different between debug and release. In debug
>> you certainly added log4cxx.lib in the field "Linker/Input/Additional
>> dependencies" but you have a drop-down which select the configuration, if
>> you switch to release, I think you don't have log4cxx.lib in "Additional
>> dependencies" .
>>
>> Don't forget to add the directory of this lib in the field
>> "Linker/General/Additional Library Directories"
>>
>> log4cxx.lib is not really a static lib. It's only the interface to the dll
>> class and functions.
>>
>> I hope it help you.
>>
>> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 04:00, Jean-Denis Muys <jdmuys@mac.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a Visual Studio 2008 project using log4cxx that links (and runs)
>>> fine in Debug mode using the Debug version of log4cxx, but fails to link in
>>> Release mode using the release version of log4cxx. Here are the 13 undefined

>>> 1>   Creating library
>>> z:\PCdev\RepliKator2004\RK_Demo_2004\plugins\RepliKator04.bundle\contents\windows\RepliKator04.lib
>>> and object
>>> z:\PCdev\RepliKator2004\RK_Demo_2004\plugins\RepliKator04.bundle\contents\windows\RepliKator04.exp
>>> 1>RKConnector.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol