From Jean-Denis Muys <jdm...@mac.com>
Subject Re: link error in release mode with Visual Studio 2008
Date Fri, 07 May 2010 12:12:04 GMT
When setting the linker verbose, it indeed reports that it is searching log4cxx.lib.
When setting fully verbose, it even reports *finding* symbols in log4cxx.lib with the file
that references them.
So indeed, the linker finds log4cxx.lib AND manages to find some of the symbols I use.
Also, it seems that all the found symbols have a __thiscall declaration, while all the ones
that are *not* found have a __stdcall declaration.

I have no idea whether this has any significance.

regarding the __declspec thing, I noticed that the linker says the symbols it cannot find
are __declspec(import), not __declspec(export). What are the differences between these two?
Could it be that the "export" variations are in the log4cxx.lib file but cannot be matched
to the "import" variation it's looking for?

<venting frustration>
Why is the Windows platform so poorly designed? None of those charades are necessary on the
BSD architecture that MacOS X is built upon!
</venting frustration>

I am not sure what I can do next. I'll try to look for those symbols in the log4cxx source
to check their declarations.

Jean-Denis

On May 7, 2010, at 12:02 , Fabian Jacquet wrote:

> Mh, maybe those symbols are in the DLL but not in the lib. To be in the lib, it must
have __declspec(dllexport) when compiling.
> log4cxx use this define to do this:
> #if defined(LOG4CXX_STATIC)
> #define LOG4CXX_EXPORT
> //   definitions used when building DLL
> #elif defined(LOG4CXX)
> #define LOG4CXX_EXPORT __declspec(dllexport)
> #else
> //    definitions used when using DLL
> #define LOG4CXX_EXPORT __declspec(dllimport)
> #endif
>
> So, "LOG4CXX_EXPORT __declspec(dllexport)" when compiling log4cxx.dll
> and
> "LOG4CXX_EXPORT __declspec(dllimport)" when including log4cxx.h from your project.
>
> If for some reason, LOG4CXX_STATIC is defined, it's possible that some symbols are not
exported. But I don't know how it's possible.

> If you don't use more than those 13 symbols maybe nothing is exported or maybe the link
don't use log4cxx.lib.
> You can check the list of lib used by the linker like this:
> Project properties>Linker>General>Show Progress = /VERBOSE:LIB
> The linker will dump the lib list in the output window of visual studio when compiling.
Check that you have something like that:
> 1>    Searching [your directories]\log4cxx.lib:
>
> I don't know any tools to check symbols. I think you could check with notepad, you can
search about "getLogger" by example but if you find it, I don't know if you can conclude that
the symbol is right exported. If you don't find it, I think the problem comes from the lib
:-)

> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 11:08, Jean-Denis Muys <jdmuys@mac.com> wrote:
> Thanks for answering. I wish the solution was that simple. I apologize for not explicitly
mentioning it, but my project is - I think - set up correctly.

> That is:
>
> - both the Debug and Release configurations mention log4cxx.lib in its Linker>Input>Additional
Dependencies
> - both the Debug and Release configurations mention a *different* directory in Linker>General>Additional
Library Directories. They are different because they point to the Debug version and the Relase
version of loc4cxx respectively (apache-log4cxx-0.10.0\projects\Debug and apache-log4cxx-0.10.0\projects\Release)

> Of course both configurations of log4cxx were previously built with no failure (from
its Visual Studio project). They were built in "DLL" mode as explained on the log4cxx web
site. While doing a static library version is on my todo list, I'd rather solve the present
issue first.

> At this point in time, I suppose the 13 missing symbols are present in the Debug version
of the log4cxx.lib stub library, but not in the Release version. How can I verify this hypothesis?
What could explain that? How can I fix it?

> Another hypothesis might be that there is yet another dependency that needs to be set
in Release mode only. This seems less plausible though. And what would it be?

> Again, thanks for you answer. Any other idea on how I could make progress on this issue?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jean-Denis
>

> On May 7, 2010, at 10:29 , Fabian Jacquet wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The project configuration is different between debug and release. In debug you certainly
added log4cxx.lib in the field "Linker/Input/Additional dependencies" but you have a drop-down
which select the configuration, if you switch to release, I think you don't have log4cxx.lib
in "Additional dependencies" .

>> Don't forget to add the directory of this lib in the field "Linker/General/Additional
Library Directories"

>> log4cxx.lib is not really a static lib. It's only the interface to the dll class
and functions.

>> I hope it help you.
>>
>> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 04:00, Jean-Denis Muys <jdmuys@mac.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a Visual Studio 2008 project using log4cxx that links (and runs) fine in Debug
mode using the Debug version of log4cxx, but fails to link in Release mode using the release
version of log4cxx. Here are the 13 undefined symbols:

>> 1>------ Build started: Project: RepliKator04, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
>> 1>Linking...
>> 1>   Creating library z:\PCdev\RepliKator2004\RK_Demo_2004\plugins\RepliKator04.bundle\contents\windows\RepliKator04.lib
and object z:\PCdev\RepliKator2004\RK_Demo_2004\plugins\RepliKator04.bundle\contents\windows\RepliKator04.exp
>> 1>RKConnector.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport)
public: static class log4cxx::helpers::ObjectPtrT<class log4cxx::Level> __stdcall log4cxx::Level::getTrace(void)"
(__imp_?getTrace@Level@log4cxx@@SG?AV?$ObjectPtrT@VLevel@log4cxx@@@helpers@2@XZ)
>> [...]
>> 1>RepliKator04 - 13 error(s), 0 warning(s)
>> ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
>>

>> As I am a Mac developer, not a Windows developer, I feel lost here. What can I do
to fix that issue? I really don't get why those symbols would not be defined in Release mode.

>> Note that my project is not an application, but a Plugin for a third party app.
>> I link against the DLL version of log4cxx. I'd rather use a static library version,
but I failed to build it so, and I could not find detailed instructions on the net to do it.

>> So for the time being, I am mainly interested in understanding why these link-time
errors occur, and in how to fix them.