From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: thread safe log4cxx
Date Sun, 08 Jun 2008 21:17:13 GMT

On Jun 8, 2008, at 1:43 PM, N N Murthy wrote:

> Our application is multi threaded application, developed using boost
> thread library. Is log4cxx thread safe? Where can we get more
> information?
>
> N N Murthy

Logging should be thread-safe, all appenders and layouts that use
shared resources should use mutexes to prevent simultaneous access to
the resources.  However, the standard disclaimers of warrantee or
suitability for purpose apply here too.  Can't promise that you can't
get into trouble.

If there are synchronization issues, they are more likely to occur
when reconfiguring log4cxx during logging, so I'd recommend
configuring log4cxx (either explicitly by a call to a configurator or
implicitly by a making a logging request) before spinning up your
threads.