From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposed date for 0.10.0 release?
Date Mon, 28 Jan 2008 21:47:32 GMT

On Jan 28, 2008, at 1:31 PM, Vlietstra, Joe wrote:

> Hi all,
> We've been successfully building log4cxx from the SVN repository
> but a FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) issue has cropped up during
> operations -- our procedures require us to identify the exact version
> of any software item running on any of our operational computers.
> I worked around this issue during an August 2007 audit by identifying
> log4cxx version as 0.10.0 (beta).  Need a proposed release date for
> 0.10.0 to survive the February 2008 audit.
> Joe Vlietstra

I'm working on breaking the dependency on LGPL'd CPPUNIT (bug
LOGCXX-225) at the moment.  That is the last significant blocker that
I know of that would prevent preparing a release candidate.   The plan
after that would be:

Remove @author tags (now considered bad form and many are carried over
from log4j and list authors that have never touched the C++ code)
Remove @since tags (a mismatch of log4j and log4cxx versions)
Align Ant build options with the ./configure options
Improve generated MSVC and other IDE projects
Prepare release candidate for testing.

Once a release candidate is out, moving to a release would require
having enough list participants test and report on the build to
motivate other Logging Services PMC members to review and vote on the
release.  At least 3 1+ votes from PMC members are required for a
release.  Since I'm the only currently active PMC member contributing
to log4cxx, I'm going to have to plead with PMC members from log4net
and Chainsaw developers to vet the release.

I've said it so many times that it is bound to eventually be right,
but I hope to have a release candidate out for review in the next two
weeks.