From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Most stable version of log4cxx?
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2007 07:54:54 GMT

On Dec 4, 2007, at 11:11 PM, Ashfaque wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does there exist a version of log4cxx which is stable enough to be
> used in
> production environment? Where to get it from?

You always have to determine that for yourself.  Try finding a license
without an pretty exhaustive disclaimer of warrantee.  Nobody in their
right mind say, particularly for free, that you should use any
particular piece of software to run your nuclear power plant, your
dad's pacemaker or business critical application.  If they did, you
shouldn't trust them.  We have no idea what type of application you
are developing, what attacks it might be under, or what the economic
loss would be and every reason in the world not to make a wild guess.

I would personally choose the SVN HEAD over log4cxx 0.9.7 for any new
development since many, many bugs from log4cxx 0.9.7 have already been
fixed, any new bugs have the potential to be fixed and someone might
help me.  If you have any existing app that uses log4cxx 0.9.7 just
fine, more power to you.

> And can anyone give an idea when will the 0.10 version of log4cxx get
> released?

I have frequently estimated a release date and have been wrong.  I am
volunteering my time and have other demands on my time and very few
others have consistently pitched in recently.  The list of blocking
bugs for log4cxx 0.10 is almost done.  My current plans are:

complete the SMTPAppender migration to libesmtp (LOGCXX-1)
review ODBCAppender (LOGCXX-68) for potential migration to APR's DB
Cut a release candidate (which would involve reviewing build scripts
and packaging issues).

Once a release candidate is cut, there is a process for the Logging
Services PMC to follow to vote to approve the release.  However, it
may require social engineering to get enough votes for a formal release.