From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Most stable version of log4cxx?
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2007 23:54:22 GMT

On Dec 6, 2007, at 3:51 PM, Stephen Bartnikowski wrote:

> Platforms...I should correct myself. I've got activated, licensed
> systems
> running FreeBSD, openSUSE, White Box, and Mac OS X Server.
>
> I have previously used trial versions of SUSE Enterprise and Red Hat
> Enterprise to make sure my product was compatible with the enterprise
> editions. The trial licenses have probably expired by now.

I've got CentOS 4 and 5 VMs set up from other projects and I think
that would be sufficient to have confidence on RHEL.

> As for my Fedora box, it got cannibalized a few months ago, but the
> new
> hardware is sitting in my office waiting to be reinstalled.

I know my way around reasonably with Fedora and could get a VM set up
with any particular Fedora in a reasonable amount of time.

> Really, I was just trying to say that my product supports all of those
> different platforms and that I should invest some time into log4cxx
> if I
> want a reliable logging system on all of those platforms.
>
> That being said, yes, I am willing to help out as time permits with
> testing
> on the platforms I have available: FreeBSD, openSUSE, White Box, Mac
> OS X
> Server, and Fedora, when I revive that machine.
>

> Btw Curt, Mac OS X provides some nice profiling tools in the
> Developer/Applications/Performance Tools folder if you want more
> options. If
> we can get the build issues worked out on that platform, it would be
> pretty
> easy for me to profile log4cxx in use with an app.

I've been using XCode 2.5 (Tiger compatible) on Leopard as my primary
dev environment for a while and have done some memory profiling using
Shark.  I've hacked cpptasks to generate Xcode projects and then
needed to make manual changes to get everything running.  There are
things I'd like to fix in the cpptasks generated projects and need to
make some changes so they work with XCode 3.0, but they are usable.  I
could likely snapshot my project files if that would help you profile
your project.  I'm expecting to provide XCode project files in the
release candidate, hopefully I can write them so they would load in
both XCode 2.5 and 3.0 without complaint.