logging-log4cxx-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Request: flushAll() method on loggers for writer appenders
Date Tue, 21 Dec 2004 07:07:22 GMT
I did see your earlier message and thought that I had replied to it,
but can't seem to find a message in the archives.

I'd like to get Ceki's opinion on this.  I can see where it would be
useful to you, but I'm sure that there are probably issues that need to
be considered.

The appropriate location for the call, putting it on the appender isn't
very handy.  Maybe Logger.flush() and LoggerRepository.flushAll()?

What guarantees do you want after the return from flush/flushAll()?
Should a network or async appender block until its queue is empty?   Or
do you just want to just hint that it would be a good time to flush
buffers?

What happens to if a log request is made during the execution of
flush(), should it block until completion and be done after the flush
is complete?

If we can work through the issues, would you be willing to submit
patches to log4j and log4cxx?

If you'd like to take the question to the log4j-dev mailing list (which
I subscribe to), you might get more lively discussion.