logging-log4cxx-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: Logging of arbitrary length binary data
Date Fri, 27 Aug 2004 17:46:12 GMT
At 07:21 PM 8/27/2004, you wrote:
>In my application I might be generating a very large number of log
>events.  Most times I don't want to know what's in the blob, but for a
>small percentage of these messages I may decide that I want to convert the
>blob into a string (or use some viewer to display what is in the
>blob).  So while I may end up converting it to a human readable string I
>can delay that until I know I want to look at the event.

OK, you are maybe thinking about a slightly different aspect of the
problem. You would like to defer the transformation of the message objet up
until the last possible moment. In the case of log4j, it actually converts
the message object into a string only when the message needs to be written
out. Also, it keeps the reference to the message object for duration of the
life cycle of the LoggingEvent object.

>As for binary properties I could see that would make writing filters more
>efficnet, instead of doing a ton of string compares I can compare
>primitive data types.

I don't understand what you mean by binary properties not setProperty.

--
Ceki Gülcü