logging-log4cxx-dev mailing list archives

From Jack Strohm <jstr...@perpetual.com>
Subject Re: Logging of arbitrary length binary data
Date Fri, 27 Aug 2004 17:54:58 GMT
Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> At 07:21 PM 8/27/2004, you wrote:
>
>> In my application I might be generating a very large number of log
>> events.  Most times I don't want to know what's in the blob, but for
>> a small percentage of these messages I may decide that I want to
>> convert the blob into a string (or use some viewer to display what is
>> in the blob).  So while I may end up converting it to a human
>> readable string I can delay that until I know I want to look at the
>> event.
>

> OK, you are maybe thinking about a slightly different aspect of the
> problem. You would like to defer the transformation of the message
> objet up until the last possible moment. In the case of log4j, it
> actually converts the message object into a string only when the
> message needs to be written out. Also, it keeps the reference to the
> message object for duration of the life cycle of the LoggingEvent object.

In my case I'm thinking about dumping these log events to another
machine where they can be manipulatd if necessary.  So having to convert
the blob into a human readable form initially is not only extra CPU
overhead but also network bandwidth.

>> As for binary properties I could see that would make writing filters
>> more efficnet, instead of doing a ton of string compares I can
>> compare primitive data types.
>

> I don't understand what you mean by binary properties not setProperty.

Sorry, what I meant was currently an event only supports strings in the
setProperty method.  If it supported other forms of  properties (like
int, long, float) then filters could be written that would compare
against these primitive data types instead of always doing string
comparisons.  You save CPU time on both the primitive data type to
string conversion and in the compare used in the filter.