logging-general mailing list archives

From "Christian Grobmeier" <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Introducing Lionbeast
Date Sun, 06 Oct 2013 21:03:08 GMT
Hello folks!

early this year I wrote a small and simply http server for demonstration
purposes. It's based on NIO. When I picked up this task I always thought
it would be good for an idea I have on logging for a while now.

Here it is:
https://bitbucket.org/grobmeier/lionbeast

I would like to change the server in a way so it can make use of Log4j
receivers to receive logging events. Lionbeast shall provide a way to
manipulate these events and enable to create some metrics or something
similar. At the moment it is possible to create dynamic websites using
JRuby. I would like to have "Loglets" one day. This is basically a
script or implemented class which lets users work with the events the
way they want.

I absolutely know about Apache Flume. I consider Flume the "big brother"
of Lionbeast. Lionbeast aims to be easy to use, install and extend. I
consider it more to be a partner of Chainsaw actually. Like the
server-side Version of Chainsaw. Actually I believe there might be some
opportunities if Chainsaw and Lionbeast would come together.

If you like my idea, I would like to contribute the current code and ask
for a Git-Repository at Infra.
My current plan is to work on it over years change mostly and thats why
I am starting now to have it ready for that time.
In addition I would like to put some work in the current Receivers. I
don't know if they currently work with Log4j2 but I guess not so well. I
think there should be a receivers package directly in the Log4j 2 trunk,
maybe even in the core.

I recently spoke to Benedikt Ritter who is a committer/PMC at Apache
Commons. I told him about my ideas and he motivated me to move forward
with it. Furthermore Benedikt expressed his interest to participate. I
would like to give him access to the Git repository as well. We should
also discuss if we should open a sandbox for logging in general, where
interested fellow committers can contribute code without having
committer-ship at logging.

Thoughts? Comments? Likes? Dislikes?

Cheers
Christian