logging-general mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Your Gump Build(s)
Date Tue, 25 Jun 2013 07:19:50 GMT
On 2013-06-24, Dominik Psenner wrote:

> Talking for log4net, yes. We use Gump.

and does it help log4net? (feeling kind of strange about juggling hats
right now :-)

IMHO log4net uses Gump as nightly build system and not because of its
"Gumpness".  log4net doesn't have any dependencies apart from the CLR
and we Gump folks have never figured out how to make "replace a
dependency with the one we've just built" properly anyway.

> Bringing up the discussion again. Is it possible to publish nightly builds
> using gump? It has been requested several times and it would be a lot easier
> than setting up/migrate to a second build system.

I'm not sure whether there is NAnt installed on any Jenkins slave, but
at least you'd get Windows nodes with "real" .NET platforms.  A start
might by to run MSBuild on one of the solution files.

Philosphically Gump isn't suitable as a nightly build system as you
don't know what you are building against in general - somebody attacking
the VCS of project X could easily undermine nightly builds of all
projects dependending on X.

Stefan