Hi All:

[Note that I am not and do not plan on working on log4cxx]

The attic step seems like potentially unnecessary work.

If the project is being used but not developed actively, that's fine. It is still an asset.

I thought Apache already had a process by which a project can be mirrored with Git?

You can then process pull requests as you would with any Git repo.

It might be that the project as is is doing it's job in a manner that satisfies its users, without further tweaking ;)

Gary

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Rhys Ulerich <rhys.ulerich@gmail.com> wrote:
> Most of them
> said they might apply a couple of patches here and there, but nobody
> burst out in emotions saying, YAY, this is it.

The library is, more or less, stable and feature complete.  There's
not much shepherding to be done in terms of driving the functionality
in some particular direction.  That is, unless there's some burning
feature set that folks need that hasn't been discussed on the log4cxx
mailing list in the years that I have been lurking.  The problem seems
to be that the overhead of contributing small fixes is off-puttingly
high.  It's hard to elicit a YAY from anyone under these
circumstances.

> For now I would like to propose that I am cloning log4cxx to my GitHub
> account and move the svn repos to the attic. That way I can overlook
> if there is a team growing around log4cxx or not. Also I can ask for
> ICLAs before accepting pull requests, which should help when we go
> back to incubation. If there is, we can go back to incubation at any
> time. If there is not, then well, no harm done.
>
> Comments?

I like this approach.

I would ask that, before you do this, you please make one last 10.2
release off the Apache-blessed sources.  Trunk differs in slight but
important ways from 10.1 (e.g., it builds).  This way the distro
package managers can at least get one last blessed version into their
pipelines before the log4cxx community goes off and experiments with a
reboot.

- Rhys

JUnit in Action, Second Edition
Spring Batch in Action