logging-general mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: log4cx: attic or incubation?
Date Sat, 04 May 2013 17:48:39 GMT
On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 4:04 PM, Rhys Ulerich <rhys.ulerich@gmail.com> wrote:
> The library is, more or less, stable and feature complete.  There's
> not much shepherding to be done in terms of driving the functionality
> in some particular direction.  That is, unless there's some burning
> feature set that folks need that hasn't been discussed on the log4cxx
> mailing list in the years that I have been lurking.  The problem seems
> to be that the overhead of contributing small fixes is off-puttingly
> high.  It's hard to elicit a YAY from anyone under these
> circumstances.

All true. I find it hard to believe that in all these years nobody
needed a new feature.
Maybe it's a language thing and all cxx devs are really happy with
what they have.
But on the other hand you are right, contributing is difficult.

>> For now I would like to propose that I am cloning log4cxx to my GitHub
>> account and move the svn repos to the attic. That way I can overlook
>> if there is a team growing around log4cxx or not. Also I can ask for
>> ICLAs before accepting pull requests, which should help when we go
>> back to incubation. If there is, we can go back to incubation at any
>> time. If there is not, then well, no harm done.
>>
>> Comments?
>
> I like this approach.

Please also see the mail from Gary. He proposed to set up an official
ASF mirror, from
which we could directly accept patches (I heard).

> I would ask that, before you do this, you please make one last 10.2
> release off the Apache-blessed sources.  Trunk differs in slight but
> important ways from 10.1 (e.g., it builds).  This way the distro
> package managers can at least get one last blessed version into their
> pipelines before the log4cxx community goes off and experiments with a
> reboot.

The sad truth is that I never built log4cxx and I am not sure if I can
do it - i simply have never done anything with cxx. Maybe I will get
it with the help of the community. This at least would prove the
interest of the people who raised their hand over at log4cxx land

Thanks for speaking up!

Cheers
Christian

--