logging-general mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <aadamc...@apache.org>
Subject Mirroring Log4J 2 on GitHub
Date Mon, 18 Mar 2013 12:09:32 GMT
Hey guys,

There's a Log4J mirror on GitHub at https://github.com/apache/log4j . Would it be possible
to also mirror Log4J2?

We've recently switched to Log4J2 on one of the big projects that I am doing. Now we need
to patch a few things for our work in a way that is likely not going to be accepted back to
Log4J. Specifically we want to short-circuit Log4jLogEvent.getSource to return a fixed String.
We are using AsynchAppender and 'Log4jLogEvent.getSource' is a noticeable performance bottleneck
for us, and we currently don't see a better way around it (ok, to be completely honest, we
just don't have the cycles to refactor Log4J2 properly). So the idea was to keep a GitHub
fork and merge periodically with the master copy.

Any thoughts/comments on exposing "2" on GitHub.

As an Apache member I can probably ping infra myself. But wanted to talk to the 'logging'
community first.

Thanks,
Andrus