logging-general mailing list archives

From Ivan Habunek <ivan.habu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mirroring Log4J 2 on GitHub
Date Mon, 18 Mar 2013 17:34:57 GMT
On 18 March 2013 18:27, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> Where are the processes that you use with Git documented?  While I'm very comfortable
with SVN I am only passable on Git - I can happily work with other people's stuff but I'm
not sure what it takes to integrate changes people make from their forks.

We don't have a very extensive documentation yet. We follow the so
called "git flow" model [1] which means we develop in the "develop"
branch and merge "master" branch with "develop" only when doing a
release. This means that "master" branch always contains the last
released version, and "develop" is similar to "trunk" in svn. This
might not be very visible in our repo yet because we have not made a
release since switching to git. :)

We also have a modest contributor's guide on our wiki [2].

Also, there's a git extension for automating some of the git flow
process [3] written by the same guy(s) who wrote the article under
[1].

I'm very happy with this workflow, it seems very natural.

[1] http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/
[2] http://wiki.apache.org/logging-log4php/Contributing
[3] https://github.com/nvie/gitflow

Regards,