logging-general mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject How to contribute and revive log4cxx
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2012 19:52:45 GMT
Hello all,

today I submitted a patch by Andrew Lazarus to log4cxx. My feeling is
that there is still some interest in log4cxx and I would like to help
the contributors to submit their patches. I am waiting for JIRA access
to close the issues I fixed.

I would like to invite everybody to help reactivating log4cxx!

As some of you might know I am not a skilled C programmer, thats why I
cannot can stay here permanently. Instead my plan is to help
interested persons to learn about the Apache way and to bring in their
changes - not only as contributor but also a committer later.

If this strategy does not work out I am afraid that log4cxx will
become food for the always hungry attic. The attic is the place where
unmaintained Apache projects reside.

If you are reading this and would like to help log4cxx any further,
please read this first:

* http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html

It will explain *what* the ASF actually is.
If you like what you read and if you are seriously interested in
contributing patches and maybe becoming a committer yourself, please
sign and fax/mail the ICLA:

http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt

We can only accept bigger contributions when we have this on file. If
any questions ping me, I will try to respond with all my knowledge
about it or refer you to the right place.

As a workflow, we should use the following:

- please open a JIRA issue for your change
- attach a SVN diff file to it
- come to the mailinglist, explain what you have changed and hopefully
get some feedback from other contributors

Please feel free to ping the log4cxx-dev list for any more questions.
It is also a good thing to subscribe to:

general-subscribe@logging.apache.org

The general list is the place where we discuss general issues, like
for example the health of a sub project like log4cxx.

My hope is that with applying the great patches of Andrew will
motivate others around might find their way to this project again.

All the best,
Christian

--
http://www.grobmeier.de