logging-general mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: JEE Logging Standard Specification
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2012 14:56:28 GMT
No - I've never joined the JCP. After the Harmony debacle I haven't had much love for Oracle.
 However, it would be a great achievement if someone could deprecate JUL - or at least enhance
it so that it could at least use a ServiceLocator to find an implementation instead of what
it does now.

I'll look into whether I'd want to join the JCP and then follow up if I do.

Ralph

On Sep 7, 2012, at 7:49 AM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

> Are a member of the JCP?
> I informed meanwhile and heard any JCP member can start a JSR. I am
> and I would join you here.
>
> Cheers
>
> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 4:47 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>> Yes - I would love that.
>>
>> I too have been depressed by JBoss this week.  I've discovered that just to get logging
to work properly in the various ways it can be deployed in JBoss that I am going to have to
split out the ContextListener into its own jar so that it can always be included in the web
app.  I haven't even tried EARs or SARs yet with JBoss but I'm sure it won't be pretty.

>> JBoss 5 also has made a mess of things by including its own SLF4J implementation
in common/lib. There doesn't seem to be any good way of not getting a warning from SLF4J that
it has found multiple bindings.  Part of the problem here is that JBoss is including a bunch
of stuff for its own use and as a byproduct, exposing that to applications. OSGi or modules
are supposed to help deal with that. I haven't tried JBoss 7 yet to see how much progress
they have made.