logging-general mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Logging web sites
Date Sat, 09 Jun 2012 16:13:05 GMT
Hervé, now that the main site is there I am still trying to figure out how the extpath stuff
works.  Below you say when the staging area is promoted to production, "This time, subsites
are here (like in plugins directory), which were directly imported to the svn production structure
in their generated html form.".  How does this happen?  How does the production structure
know where to get them from.  Or do you manually commit them to the production site? I'm thinking
it has to be the latter.

Ralph

On May 20, 2012, at 2:21 PM, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:

> from my experience with maventest
>
> - the whole generated html goes into https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/logging/content/
(actually does not exist: replace logging with maventest and you have maventest)
> To me, the generated html structure is the same with every option.
>
> - yes, with extpath.txt, the main site content is completely divorced from sub sites:
notice that extpath.txt is a CMS publish feature, ie that's the CMS that is generating htlm
from sources, even if it's not with its native engine but with an external one

> look at maven-site source updated for CMS build support: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/site/branches/INFRA-4466/trunk
> notice it is in asf repo, not infra, ie it is in the normal source repo
>
> The only modifications from classical "mvn site" build are:
> 1. the source directory: <siteDirectory>${basedir}/content</siteDirectory>
> 2. the output directory: <outputDirectory>${site.output}</outputDirectory>,
to be set from command line as -Dsite.output=... whatever infra wants
(copied during "mvn site"): https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/site/branches/INFRA-4466/trunk/content/resources/extpaths.txt

the CMS builds html and stages content to staging svn area: https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/staging/maventest/trunk/content/
> (notice this in in infra repo)
> (notice this does not contain subsites, look at plugins directory)
> (notice the extpaths.txt file at root)
>
> Then with the CMS gui, this staging area is promoted to production:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/maventest/content/
> This time, subsites are here (like in plugins directory), which were directly imported
to the svn production structure in their generated html form.

> To make the same for logging website source in http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/site/branches/experimental-twig-textile/,
here are the steps Joe would need:
> - add trunk
> - move src/site to content
> - add resources/extpath.txt
> - add a way to configure output directory from command line
> Then infra will need to integrate build.php as external site build tool (like they did
for "mvn site"): I don't know if they have prerequisite installed on the build machine.

> The way I managed to do things was on IRC, to get rapid tests and feedback, because there
can be a myriad of little problems to fix. When I'm here, I am connected on #asfinfra, so
don't hesitate to ping me if you try to work with infra.

> HTH
>
> Hervé
>
> Le dimanche 20 mai 2012 13:49:54 Ralph Goers a écrit :
> I'm still unclear on a bit of the details.
>
> My understanding is that with svnpubsub we are committing stuff into subversion.  Where
would that directory be? Immediately under the main site or somewhere else? In other words,
does extpath.txt  provide the ability to divorce the main site content from the sub sites
completely?

> So if we chose option 1 what would the subversion site structure look like?  What about
with option 2?  We do not want to have to play a bunch of games with a complicated set of
svn commands to build each of the components individually.

> Ralph
> On May 20, 2012, at 1:28 PM, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
> ok, so it's a custom rendering engine
>
> so I see 2 solutions:
>
> 1. either infra adds this engine as external, like it did with "mvn site": you'll have
to put sources in content, to trigger html generation on each source update, buildbot will
build the html, then you'll use the CMS web interface to publish staged content

> 2. either infra simply adds svnpubsub, without any CMS integration, ie any source modification
integration nor html build from sources. I don't know if they do that. But that way, you're
completely free, you only use svnpubsub: it's up to you to get the tooling to put html content
to svn.

> With 1st solution, main site is automatically published at each commit, each component
being protected from erase by extpath.txt.
> With 2nd solution, main site is manually published when somebody does it, like components
during releases, and you'll have to take care of not removing components content when publishing.

> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le dimanche 20 mai 2012 12:53:27 Ralph Goers a écrit :
> Here was what Ivan proposed - http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/logging-general/201205.mbox/ajax/%3CCAKpWnhTiVEe0M54UOFHGXTUOPq3TX2Jd_Z-a7B9H_pfnxQmCDg%40mail.gmail.com%3E
>

> Ralph
>
> On May 20, 2012, at 12:06 PM, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
> I'm now subscribed to general@logging
> Thanks Ralph for INFRA-4669: it gives me good information on actual status.
>
> The main question IMHO for the moment is: how are you planning to generate main site
html? Maven, CMS's markdown, another tool?
> Then each component will have its own generation tool, with the only expectation is to
output html to svn

> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le dimanche 20 mai 2012 11:58:16 Ralph Goers a écrit :
> If you meant me, of course I'm subscribed to Maven Dev as I'm on the PMC.  However, I
haven't done any work there in a very long time.  This list would seem to be more appropriate
for a logging related discussion.

> To reiterate a bit for Hervé's sake, I've opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-4699
which is sort of in a state of limbo waiting for us to tell infra what we actually want. We
haven't responded because we aren't really sure. So the first piece we need is something to
tell infra so that we can actually start doing something.