logging-general mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Logging Site
Date Fri, 22 Jun 2012 15:05:22 GMT
On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Ralph Goers <rgoers@apache.org> wrote:
> So where does this leave us in moving the site over?

I think we could simply commit the chainsaw binary into the cms folders.

But actually I believe infra will eat us if they ever find out we
distribute binaries from the CMS folder. Therefore I would say we make
up a regular download page and reference to the dmg and the zip only
(dropping the jnlp) and use the mirroring system.

Scott, its your domain- what do you say to that?

Cheers
Christian

>
> Ralph
>
> On Jun 21, 2012, at 12:51 AM, Scott Deboy <scott.deboy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I believe we bypass the mirror system because the mirror system doesn't
> support the jnlp protocol (handling the mime type)..
>
> Scott
>
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 12:49 AM, Scott Deboy <scott.deboy@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> An icon is usually added to the user's start menu and/or desktop, which
>> launches javaws and uses the jnlp protocol, so they don't need to go back to
>> the link to get the benefit of autoupdates.
>>
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 10:45 PM, Christian Grobmeier
>> <grobmeier@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 7:40 AM, Scott Deboy <scott.deboy@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>> > The benefit of webstart is updates are automatically downloaded and
>>> > installed.  The link actually tries to check jars each time you start
>>> > the
>>> > app and will update automatically if there are new ones.
>>>
>>> yes understood.
>>>
>>> Does the user (i am a webstart noob) always need to click on our
>>> webpage to start the app?
>>> And, do we actually bypass the mirror system here or am I wrong with
>>> my assumption? Not sure if that is really relevant because I don't
>>> know about the user base
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Christian
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> > Scott
>>> >
>>> >
>>> > On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 10:36 PM, Christian Grobmeier
>>> > <grobmeier@gmail.com>
>>> > wrote:
>>> >>
>>> >> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Scott Deboy <scott.deboy@gmail.com>
>>> >> wrote:
>>> >> > I think the gotcha there had something to do with making sure the
>>> >> > jnlp
>>> >> > file mapping was correctly supported. It has been about eight years,
>>> >> > but
>>> >> > that is my recollection.
>>> >> >
>>> >> > That and the stupid maven template support would not allow us to
use
>>> >> > an
>>> >> > image as the link (a 'launch' webstart graphical button as the
link)
>>> >>
>>> >>
>>> >> Is there something speaking against downloading an exe/dmg/zip via the
>>> >> usual download system?
>>> >> Or is webstart the killer feature for chainsaw? :-)
>>> >>
>>> >> Cheers
>>> >>
>>> >>
>>> >>
>>> >> >
>>> >> > Scott
>>> >> >
>>> >> >
>>> >> >
>>> >> > On Jun 20, 2012, at 2:46 AM, Christian Grobmeier
>>> >> > <grobmeier@gmail.com>
>>> >> > wrote:
>>> >> >
>>> >> >> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 7:07 AM, Ralph Goers
>>> >> >> <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>>> >> >>> I believe all the hard work on the logging site is completed
>>> >> >>> however
>>> >> >>> some of the sub projects are yet to be published.  I would
like to
>>> >> >>> have
>>> >> >>> infra convert loggingtest.apache.org to logging.apache.org
but I
>>> >> >>> don't want
>>> >> >>> to get 404s on those sub projects.
>>> >> >>>
>>> >> >>> I looked at chainsaw and the download page will certainly
break if
>>> >> >>> I
>>> >> >>> were to just copy the content.  I'm not sure about the
others.
>>> >> >>>
>>> >> >>> Any ideas?
>>> >> >>
>>> >> >> Just added log4cxx to loggingtest.a.o. Its using the download
>>> >> >> script
>>> >> >> which generates a list of mirrors so no problem here. In addition
I
>>> >> >> completed the branding requirements for log4cxx so we can leave
>>> >> >> that
>>> >> >> untouched for a while now.
>>> >> >>
>>> >> >> I am not sure on the chainsaw one. It seems to bypass the mirroring
>>> >> >> system which is kind a bad. Instead we should change the site
to
>>> >> >> use
>>> >> >> the download script imho. Maybe Scott can comment here.
>>> >> >>
>>> >> >> That being said, the chainsaw site needs an appropriate footer.
>>> >> >> Basically the maven.vm template could be used in chainsaw too.
So
>>> >> >> we
>>> >> >> have 2 tasks here, update to branding and use the mirror system.
>>> >> >>
>>> >> >> cheers
>>> >> >> Christian
>>> >> >>
>>> >> >>>
>>> >> >>> Ralph
>>> >> >>
>>> >> >>
>>> >> >>
>>> >> >> --
>>> >> >> http://www.grobmeier.de
>>> >> >> https://www.timeandbill.de
>>> >>
>>> >>
>>> >>
>>> >> --
>>> >> http://www.grobmeier.de
>>> >> https://www.timeandbill.de
>>> >
>>> >
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> http://www.grobmeier.de
>>> https://www.timeandbill.de
>>
>>
>



-- 
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Mime
View raw message