logging-general mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Logging web sites
Date Thu, 31 May 2012 07:14:27 GMT
On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 8:48 AM, Ivan Habunek <ivan.habunek@gmail.com> wrote:
> Agreed about Perl. Not a fan either. Also I think speed will not be a
> factor for the logging web for a long time, maybe never.

wow Perl is horrible. I thought it has died 10 years ago and was much
surprised Infra did the CMS in Perl.

> I have never used Quercus so I'm not an expert. There is a maven
> plugin [1]. I'm not sure if you need to run the Resin server to make
> it work. However, this would make the build more complicated. I mean,
> running PHP in Java? :) I would prefer to keep it simple.

Last time I worked with Quercus it was horrible. The maven plugin does
not do anything with it, its more about deploying to Resin.

In theory Quercus should be able to stand alone, is faster and more
safe. In practice it works not so easy outside of the WAR file they
deliver. In our case we would need to write a Maven Mojo using Resin.
It would be fun but actually eat a lot of time.

> I see 3 possiblities:
> a) Start using their supported Django-like templates [2], this
> probably would not be that much work if we can survive a bit of Perl.

eeeeek :-|

> b) Wait for infra to setup PHP (they did not say thew would not do it,
> just that "It'll take time"). ETA unknown.

I would prefer to go forward, guess we need a good whil to migrate
everything once we have the tool

> c) Switch back to building the logging web manually and commiting it
> to svn as originally planned.

Hm.

> If you wish I can attempt to make the first option work. This might be
> the simplest solution since it would eliminate the need to pack Twig
> and Textile with the project.

If you could look at it, then yes, lets try that. Thank you.

Cheers,
Christian

--
http://www.grobmeier.de