logging-general mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Logging web sites
Date Sat, 19 May 2012 15:30:15 GMT
On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> This topic has died down a bit.  My concern here is that I am pretty much
> read to do a release of Log4j 2 but I really don't know how to publish the
> web site. The process I use to build Log4j 2 is

Thanks for brining up the topic again.

> 1. Check it out from SVN.
> 2. Run "mvn -P release-notes generate-resources (then commit the generated
> notes for a real release).
> 3. Run "mvn -P apache-release install  (this step would be replaced by mvn
> release:prepare release:package in a real release)
> 4. Run mvn site (would be on the tagged branch).
> 5. Run mvn site:stage-deploy or mvn site:deploy to deploy the site
> somewhere.
>
> I'm imagining that I would need to use the maven-site-scm-publish plugin to
> commit the site to where it needs to go but we haven't agreed on what to
> tell INFRA regarding https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-4699.
>
> I'm not really sure where to go from here.

Me either :-|

Lets sum up what we have now:
- log4j1 does "mvn site" to localhost and then commits the generated
file to svn trunk. From there it will be taken with "svn up". This
process does not work well with pubsub because changes are visible
instantly. It needs to be changed.

- log4j2 seem to do everything locally and just upload the generated
files to either a staging folder or the real folder. This is my
preferred approach

- log4php does it (if i remember correctly) like log4j2

- I don't know bout the other logging sites.

- Infra wants to see svnpubsub in action or that we use the CMS

Honestly my preferred approach is to have the rules in place you
mentioned in the issue. Ivans new main site is so simple, it really
does not need a CMS. The other pages should be taken with maven, as
usual.

That being said, it seems there is a maven plugin which works with the
CMS. Even when I really have no fun trying out the CMS, we might ask
if we can get some kind of a sandbox to try it out. Probably we can
work as we always did and we don't need to use the CMS interface
directly.

If we can use the CMS, we need to touch all pom files to enable it.
Basically it looks pretty straightforward, just moving the site-folder
to $project/content

So, how about asking about getting access to a sandbox CMS and trying
the maven build?

Cheers
Christian

--