logging-general mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Logging web sites
Date Tue, 22 May 2012 06:11:47 GMT
Wait - I thought option 1 used the CMS and could invoke the site build.

Ralph

On May 21, 2012, at 1:55 PM, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:

> seems a good step, IMHO, because your main site has its own templating engine that won't
be used by many people, then don't deserve CMS dedicated code to integrate it: pure svnpubsub
will be the simplest choice for everybody

> and as done in the main site source, a pom.xml can provide html publish to svn: just
need to check if excludes works well to avoid deleting components subsites when publishing
main site update

> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le dimanche 20 mai 2012 15:15:46 Ralph Goers a écrit :
> Based on your other answers I'm in favor of going with option 1.  I think we should start
by having infra set up a loggingtest site. and then see if we can't get Ivan's build to work
(preferably in English).

> Ralph
>
> On May 20, 2012, at 1:28 PM, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
> ok, so it's a custom rendering engine
>
> so I see 2 solutions:
>
> 1. either infra adds this engine as external, like it did with "mvn site": you'll have
to put sources in content, to trigger html generation on each source update, buildbot will
build the html, then you'll use the CMS web interface to publish staged content

> 2. either infra simply adds svnpubsub, without any CMS integration, ie any source modification
integration nor html build from sources. I don't know if they do that. But that way, you're
completely free, you only use svnpubsub: it's up to you to get the tooling to put html content
to svn.

> With 1st solution, main site is automatically published at each commit, each component
being protected from erase by extpath.txt.
> With 2nd solution, main site is manually published when somebody does it, like components
during releases, and you'll have to take care of not removing components content when publishing.

> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le dimanche 20 mai 2012 12:53:27 Ralph Goers a écrit :
> Here was what Ivan proposed - http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/logging-general/201205.mbox/ajax/%3CCAKpWnhTiVEe0M54UOFHGXTUOPq3TX2Jd_Z-a7B9H_pfnxQmCDg%40mail.gmail.com%3E
>

> Ralph
>
> On May 20, 2012, at 12:06 PM, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
> I'm now subscribed to general@logging
> Thanks Ralph for INFRA-4669: it gives me good information on actual status.
>
> The main question IMHO for the moment is: how are you planning to generate main site
html? Maven, CMS's markdown, another tool?
> Then each component will have its own generation tool, with the only expectation is to
output html to svn

> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le dimanche 20 mai 2012 11:58:16 Ralph Goers a écrit :
> If you meant me, of course I'm subscribed to Maven Dev as I'm on the PMC.  However, I
haven't done any work there in a very long time.  This list would seem to be more appropriate
for a logging related discussion.

> To reiterate a bit for Hervé's sake, I've opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-4699
which is sort of in a state of limbo waiting for us to tell infra what we actually want. We
haven't responded because we aren't really sure. So the first piece we need is something to
tell infra so that we can actually start doing something.