logging-general mailing list archives

From Ivan Habunek <ivan.habu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Updating the logging services web site
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 22:06:43 GMT
After some more banging my head against the wall of Internet I found
out that logback uses a cool trick for generating the site using maven
which avoids the maven-site-plugin altogether.

Basically, the html files are treated as simple resources, which means
they are not converted at all, just copied. However, filtering is done
on them, which means that placeholders such as ${project.version} are
replaced with info from site.xml. The site is built by running "mvn
process-resources".

Parts of the web which may change and which appear on multiple pages -
such as the main menu - are defined as javascript files (see
/site/pages/templates/). These templates are then included on
individual pages. This means that when the menu changes in the future,
it can be edited in just one place. Currently, only the menu is
templated.

The source is committed as an experimental SVN branch here:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/site/branches/experimental-redesign

You can check out the generated web here:
http://bezdomni.net/logging/

Ceki's solution which inspired me (read: which I shamelessly ripped
off) is here:
https://github.com/ceki/logback/tree/master/logback-site

To make the site complete we have a little more work to do:

1. Can each of the projects please provide a short intro to place in
the placeholders on the front page?

2. The current project services description is not the nicest, so if
anybody has a better idea for a short introductory text i would be
grateful.

Best regards,
Ivan

On 27 February 2012 19:25, Scott Deboy <scott.deboy@gmail.com> wrote:
> I also hit the annoying issue during the conversion to use site-plugin where
> we could no longer use images with links - the 'start Chainsaw' link went
> from a very visible graphic to a regular underlined link...not great.  Maybe
> it's time to use something different..we don't have that many pages..
>

> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 7:14 AM, Ivan Habunek <ivan.habunek@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I'm using a custom skin based on Twitter's Bootstrap on the log4php
>> site. It's similar to Fluido, but using a different layout.
>> Unfortunately, a custom skin does not allow you to modify the way
>> XDOC/APT are translated to HTML so it's not a solution to this
>> problem.
>>
>> I will attempt to make the site-plugin do my bidding once again this
>> week. :-) It would be nicer to have the site in XDOC than HTML.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ivan
>>
>> On 27 February 2012 16:01, Ralph Goers <rgoers@apache.org> wrote:
>> > Have you tried using a different skin? I'm using Fluido on Log4j2. I
>> > have no idea if that will help, but it may show you how to create your own
>> > that does what you want.
>> >
>> > Ralph

<code> with <tt>. Why?
the