On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Scott Deboy <scott.deboy@gmail.com> wrote:
Is support for the concept of an event sink (receivers) going to be straightforward to implement using log4j2's configuration support?

I just want to make sure we are covering our bases there.  It would be great to have explicit support for receivers, the same as we have for appenders.

While it isn't there now I don't see any reason it couldn't be added. I've implemented a couple of standalone servers but not integrated with the configuration. It would require a change to BaseConfiguration and we would need a Receiver interface - is there one?  I'm pretty sure they would need to use Managers just as the Appenders to so that they can survive a reconfiguration.

For the socketappender, can it be configured to be multicast?  If so, it would be good to be able to provide in the interface that was going to be used.

I haven't programmed multicast recently but my recollection was that it isn't too different.  I don't see why it couldn't be supported.

There are of course other appenders (the reverse-connect sockethubappender, for example), and the other network-based appenders which can probably be replaced by this single socket appender if it were beefed up a bit.

There is still a lot of work to do. I've not implemented a DB Appender, JMX support, OSGi support but I believe the foundation is there for them.  Logback supports XML and Groovy as configuration mechanisms. Currently, Log4j 2 currently supports XML and JSON. I've not convinced myself why using a DSL is a good thing but it should be easy to add if desired.

Ralph

Ralph