On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Scott Deboy <scott.deboy@gmail.com> wrote:
The 'Rule' interface, RuleFactory and LoggingEventFieldResolver are used to support expressions..simple stuff, but it works...maybe it's time to throw this away completely and leverage a third-party API instead?

Rule, RuleFactory
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/logging/log4j/companions/extras/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/log4j/rule/

ExpressionFilter:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/logging/log4j/companions/extras/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/log4j/filter/

LoggingEventFieldResolver:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/logging/log4j/companions/extras/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/log4j/spi/

Thanks. I'll take a look at these tonight. I thought I looked through companions at some point looking for stuff to pull in. This just may not have been obvious or I might have decided (perhaps incorrectly) that the RegexFilter provided similar functionality.

If these do what I think it might make more sense to leverage Java 5/6's ability to leverage scripting languages in a Filter. I've thought about doing that anyway.

Ralph