logging-general mailing list archives

From Ivan Habunek <ivan.habu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Updating the logging services web site
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2012 09:16:49 GMT
I will rant a bit now. Apologies in advance.

The Maven site-plugin (or whatever sub-component is responsible for
the xdoc conversion) is making it almost impossible to create any site
layout except the one they envisioned. Several examples when
converting xdoc to html:
* Any header element (h1,h2,...) will be encased in a <div
class="section">. This breaks the layout for my web example, amongst
other things.
<tt>. Why?
* Always puts class="bodyTable" to all <table>s. Annoying, not too harmful.
* Replaces <pre class="prettyprint">...</pre> with <div
prettyprint-ing of code.
* Xdoc doesn't support HTML entities such as &nbsp; (again, annoying
but not unsolvable)

Apart from that, the apt format is almost unusable with any styling
except the default. The main problem is that you can't assign classes
to html elements. In other words, tables can't be formatted (requires
the "table" class on <table>), code can't be pretty-printed (requires
"prettyprint" class on <pre>), etc.

So I use liberal amounts of Javascript to fix these things, which is
not optimal. The log4php pages pretty bad when using noscript.

</rant>

I considered just using plain HTML for the logging site, and avoid the
site-plugin. But this would be a pain if the number of pages ever
grows to more than 2-3.

Do you guys know of any alternatives for generating the web?

Regards,
Ivan