logging-general mailing list archives

From "ralph.goers @dslextreme.com" <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Log4J 2
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2012 18:14:06 GMT
On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Scott Deboy <scott.deboy@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is support for the concept of an event sink (receivers) going to be
> straightforward to implement using log4j2's configuration support?
>
> I just want to make sure we are covering our bases there.  It would be
> great to have explicit support for receivers, the same as we have for
> appenders.

While it isn't there now I don't see any reason it couldn't be added. I've
implemented a couple of standalone servers but not integrated with the
configuration. It would require a change to BaseConfiguration and we would
need a Receiver interface - is there one?  I'm pretty sure they would need
to use Managers just as the Appenders to so that they can survive a
reconfiguration.

> For the socketappender, can it be configured to be multicast?  If so, it
> would be good to be able to provide in the interface that was going to be
> used.

I haven't programmed multicast recently but my recollection was that it
isn't too different.  I don't see why it couldn't be supported.

> There are of course other appenders (the reverse-connect
> sockethubappender, for example), and the other network-based appenders
> which can probably be replaced by this single socket appender if it were
> beefed up a bit.

There is still a lot of work to do. I've not implemented a DB Appender, JMX
support, OSGi support but I believe the foundation is there for them.
 Logback supports XML and Groovy as configuration mechanisms. Currently,
Log4j 2 currently supports XML and JSON. I've not convinced myself why
using a DSL is a good thing but it should be easy to add if desired.

Ralph

Ralph