logging-general mailing list archives

From "ralph.goers @dslextreme.com" <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Log4J 2
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2012 19:16:06 GMT
On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 11:00 AM, Scott Deboy <scott.deboy@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah I don't mind doing that work.   One thing that was a slightly
> significant change to the LoggingEvent implementation in log4j 1.2 - I
> needed to be able to track expression matches, which impacted the API a bit
> (find/colorizing expressions are displayed in the gutter on the right, time
> deltas show up in the gutter on the left)..that allows me to render a
> 'color' for an event without re-running the evaluation expression.
>
> I think that's an implementation detail and doesn't need to be in the
> interface, but that's the one place in Chainsaw where the 'core' logging
> event wasn't sufficient.

To be honest, I've never used Chainsaw. However, my understanding is that
Lillith (for Logback) is similar to it. I don't know how Lillith handles
that but since it is a separate project from Logback I know that isn't
included in the logging event, which makes me wonder how they are handling
that - or if it does.

Ralph