logging-general mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Moving from svn up to mvn site-deploy
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2011 20:51:43 GMT
On 2011-12-23, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 6:41 PM, Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 2011-12-21, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

>> svnpubsub would solve that and even make the infra crew happy or at
>> least happier than with a "files on people.apache.org" solution.

> hm besides the code: http://bit.ly/uJs5mQ
> I could not find any docs. But I heard of it... is it still preferred,
> because of the ASF CMS?

While looking for information I can link to I stumbled over
<http://www.apache.org/dev/project-site.html#svnpubsub>

This kind of voids your idea of using site-deploy.  Or you'd have to
deploy to a local directory that is a svn copy and commit that (kind of
what you do now but without updating people.apache.org).

Ant uses svnpubsub.  Just think of it as automating the manual update
we've been doing so far - and without the delay between commit and
"visible on the live site".  All we'd have to do was opening a JIRA
ticket with infra and point them to the svn directory to publish.

<http://www.apache.org/dev/cms.html#svnpubsub> doesn't say much more
than that either (but the page as such explains infra's rationale for
builing the CMS and how they want to manage sites in the future).  One
important point against site-deploy and any other technology that
requires to sync files from people.apache.org is the big amount of data
to scan and sync as the ASF grows.  This isn't related to desaster
recovery at all.

Stefan