logging-general mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Download Pages
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2011 11:31:34 GMT
On 2011-09-07, Curt Arnold wrote:

> On Sep 6, 2011, at 11:19 PM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>> The log4net download page currently doesn't use the mirrors at all which
>> I'm going to change.  All the other LS download pages I've looked at use
>> links to closer.cgi rather than a templated cgi like the commons
>> components (for example [1]) or Ant or many other projects do.  Is there
>> any reason we are doing it this way?

> Very likely it was easiest at the time.

> The current approach with closer.cgi does not work well with Safari
> which ignores the site screaming that the resource is text/html and
> decides that since the URL ends with .gz it must be downloaded and not
> displayed. I filed that as a WebKit bug many years ago and while it is
> definitely broken with regard to the standard, there it is not going
> to change.

> I assume that whatever you come up with be an improvement. Get it
> working with log4net and we can port it to the other products.

It took longer than I had expected (basically because other things were
higher up on the TODO list) but finally I have something to show

<http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/log4net-site/download_log4net.cgi>

To adapt this for other pieces of LS you need to create a copy of the
CGI script and reference it for the download link.  You also need an
html page by the same name as the CGI.

Currently I had to manually make the CGI executable on minotaur as

mvn site:site

will strip that.  I don't know enough about maven to know how to
integrate setting the executable bit during site generation.

Commons has a plugin to automatically generate an xdoc file for the
donwload page based on some template and the POM but this was too
specific to Commons to think about porting it.  I took the easy route of
creating the page manually.

Stefan