logging-general mailing list archives

From Ivan Habunek <ihabu...@apache.org>
Subject Setting up a google analytics account
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2011 11:09:45 GMT
Hi all,

I would like to propose setting up a google analytics account for
monitoring access to logging.apache.org.

This has been discussed on @legal-discuss before, specifically by the
Jackrabbit devs [1]. The conclusion was that this is legally
acceptable if a privacy policy such as [2] is posted on the web site.
This was also confirmed in an ASF board meeting [3]. The relevant
extract being:

> * Henning to communicate that every project that uses Google Analytics
>   needs to have a published privacy policy.
>     Update:
>       henning: Jukka and legal-discuss pursued this and produced
>            http://jackrabbit.apache.org/privacy-policy.html,
>            which is great. I will send out mail later this week
>            to pmcs@ and remind them of this and that they have
>            to update their web sites if they are using GA. By
>            using this page as template, it should be easy.

Additionally, for better transparency, Jackrabbit devs decided to post
monthly generated analytics reports to the dev list. However, this
seems optional.

I have done some investigation, and it is possible to create a single
analytics account for the logging.apache.org domain and have multiple
profiles which would track individual sub-project sites [4]. This
would allow monitoring of both individual sites and the whole domain.

Best regards,
Ivan

[1] http://markmail.org/message/q6wzbv7jx2zsvi64
[2] http://jackrabbit.apache.org/privacy-policy.html