logging-general mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: log4j site updated
Date Mon, 07 Jun 2010 14:16:39 GMT
On 07/06/2010 3:57 PM, Curt Arnold wrote:

> On Jun 7, 2010, at 4:12 AM, Ceki Gülcü wrote:
>
>> On 07/06/2010 7:32 AM, Curt Arnold wrote:
>>
>>> I've updated the logging.apache.org site adding news items for Ralph
>>> Goers addition to the PMC, log4j 1.2.16 and log4php 2.0.0 releases,
>>> dropping navigation links for log4j 1.3, log4j 2.0, charter,
>>> guidelines and web site maintenance though the content is still
>>> available at the old URLs.  Doesn't look like it has hit the main
>>> servers at the moment, but it can be viewed at the staging location
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/site/trunk/docs/index.html.
>>
>> Isn't removing the links to the charter and bylaws tantamount to their
>> annulment?
>>
>> --
>> Ceki

 > Annulling the charter, the board resolution that established the
 > project, would dissolve the PMC.  Christian originally raised the
 > issue that it looked dated.

That is why I raised the issue. As far as moves go, it's a pretty big
move.

The LS charter is dated but still provides some historical
perspective. The charter also defines the purpose of LS project.

 > I will likely need to update the site for a new committer shortly and
 > will add back a link to the guidelines.

Good. Restoring the link to the charter would be equally welcome.

 > I also dropped a link to the log4j catalog.  The content was stale and
 > anything that hints at an implied endorsement of non-ASF products or
 > services is problematic.

The first paragraph of the catalog reads:

"The following logging related projects and products are developed by
other parties and are provided as a public service. No endorsement of
these projects and products should be implied."

I don't see any implied endorsement. Moreover, the extensive list of
products based on or compatible with log4j is an important argument in
favor of using log4j.

--
Ceki