logging-general mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Timezone information in Log4j logs
Date Tue, 06 May 2008 18:47:29 GMT

On May 6, 2008, at 12:44 PM, Das, Amar wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I have a program running on a server in Dallas. I need to generate
> log4j
> output in timezone "America/New_York". How can I do that?
>

> Current configuration is

> log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %p [%c] - %m%n
>
> Thanks

log4j usage questions should be asked on log4j-user@logging.apache.org.

The enhanced pattern layout in the extras companions supports time
zone specifiers on date formats.  To use:

Download the extras companion from http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/extras
  and place jar on classpath.

> log4j.appender.stdout.layout=org.apache.log4j.EnhancedPatternLayout
> log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{}{America/
> New_York} %p [%c] - %m%n

The contents of the second brace pair is passed to
java.util.TimeZone.getTimeZone() to get the appropriate time zone.
There is a guaranteed set of time zone identifiers and then a lot that
are platform or implementation specific.  If you use "America/
New_York", your configuration file may not work properly if you change
platforms or implementations.  See the documentation of
java.util.TimeZone.getTimeZone() for more specifics.