On May 14, 2007, at 2:09 AM, Rony G. Flatscher (Apache) wrote:

Hi Curt,

in the meantime I could present the framework to the Rexx community at this year's International symposium and there seems to be interest in it. Therefore I plan to publish it via  apache labs. One of the things to solve beforehand would be to the name, which at the moment is set to "log4r", which - as you pointed out - has been taken by the Ruby implementation. Therefore I have been contemplating to name it either "log4o" (short for: "log4ooRexx") or "log4rexx", both names seem to be "free".

The following URLs point to the slides and overview article of the framework, containing nutshell examples in ooRexx (the tilde character is an explicit message operator in ooRexx, hence the name right of a tilde is always a message name; in case a message carries arguments they are given as a comma-separated list in round parenthesis immediately following the message name):
A last remark ad asynchronously processing log messages: as it is very easy in ooRexx to start and stop multithreading at any time, an environment symbol is used to control this feature: this will cause the processing of log messages themselves to be carried out in a multithreaded fashion. Hence the appenders themselves need not to execute asyncrhoneously themselves (although they could in addition do that as well).

So if the package name 'log4o' or 'log4rexx' sound reasonable (and not name-clashing) I would plan to introduce it into the Apache realm...

Regards,

---rony

Seems like it may have already out-grown the labs phase.  You apparently have a functioning code base and maybe the start of a community and applying to the incubator might be the appropriate action.  Completing a Podling Proposal would be helpful to identify any issues.

Seems like ooRexx has a established legal and development framework in which you are a significant participant.  Is there a reason that Apache would be a better home for log4r?

On a technical side, it appears that you were involved in the development of an ooRexx/Java bridge as part of Apache BSF.  Does the use of log4r resemble the use of log4j over the bridge?