logging-general mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Little update and additional infos on the ooRexx implementation ... (Re: 'log4r' - a new 'log4j' like framework about to be released ...
Date Mon, 14 May 2007 16:02:05 GMT
On May 14, 2007, at 2:09 AM, Rony G. Flatscher (Apache) wrote:

> Hi Curt,
>
> in the meantime I could present the framework to the Rexx community
> at this year's International symposium and there seems to be
> interest in it. Therefore I plan to publish it via  apache labs.
> One of the things to solve beforehand would be to the name, which
> at the moment is set to "log4r", which - as you pointed out - has
> been taken by the Ruby implementation. Therefore I have been
> contemplating to name it either "log4o" (short for: "log4ooRexx")
> or "log4rexx", both names seem to be "free".
>
> The following URLs point to the slides and overview article of the
> framework, containing nutshell examples in ooRexx (the tilde
> character is an explicit message operator in ooRexx, hence the name
> right of a tilde is always a message name; in case a message
> carries arguments they are given as a comma-separated list in round
> parenthesis immediately following the message name):
> <http://wi.wu-wien.ac.at/rgf/rexx/orx18/log4r/
> 2007_orx18_log4r.pdf>, slides
> <http://wi.wu-wien.ac.at/rgf/rexx/orx18/log4r/2007_orx18_log4r-
> article.pdf>, brief overview article
> <http://wi.wu-wien.ac.at/rgf/rexx/orx18/log4r/log4r_20070425.zip>,
> (source of) the framework; use "vim" or "gvim" to get the ooRexx
> syntax highlighting to ease reading
> <http://prog.vub.ac.be/~wdmeuter/RDL06/Flatscher.pdf>, brief
> overview article of ooRexx, stressing its history, easy syntax
> (almost pseudo-code like) and its "human-centric" philosophy
> A last remark ad asynchronously processing log messages: as it is
> very easy in ooRexx to start and stop multithreading at any time,
> an environment symbol is used to control this feature: this will
> cause the processing of log messages themselves to be carried out
> in a multithreaded fashion. Hence the appenders themselves need not
> to execute asyncrhoneously themselves (although they could in
> addition do that as well).
>
> So if the package name 'log4o' or 'log4rexx' sound reasonable (and
> not name-clashing) I would plan to introduce it into the Apache
> realm...
>
> Regards,
>
> ---rony

Seems like it may have already out-grown the labs phase.  You
apparently have a functioning code base and maybe the start of a
community and applying to the incubator might be the appropriate
action.  Completing a Podling Proposal would be helpful to identify
any issues.

Seems like ooRexx has a established legal and development framework
in which you are a significant participant.  Is there a reason that
Apache would be a better home for log4r?

On a technical side, it appears that you were involved in the
development of an ooRexx/Java bridge as part of Apache BSF.  Does the
use of log4r resemble the use of log4j over the bridge?