logging-general mailing list archives

From Ron Grabowski <rongrabow...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Little update and additional infos on the ooRexx implementation ... (Re: 'log4r' - a new 'log4j' like framework about to be released ...
Date Tue, 15 May 2007 01:07:36 GMT
I vote for log4rexx.

----- Original Message ----

From: Rony G. Flatscher (Apache) <rony@apache.org>

To: Logging General <general@logging.apache.org>

Sent: Monday, May 14, 2007 3:09:56 AM

Subject: Little update and additional infos on the ooRexx implementation ... (Re: 'log4r'
- a new 'log4j' like framework about to be released ...

          Hi Curt,

 in the meantime I could present the framework to the Rexx community at this year's International
symposium and there seems to be interest in it. Therefore I plan to publish it via  apache
labs. One of the things to solve beforehand would be to the name, which at the moment is set
to "log4r", which - as you pointed out - has been taken by the Ruby implementation. Therefore
I have been contemplating to name it either "log4o" (short for: "log4ooRexx") or "log4rexx",
both names seem to be "free".

 The following URLs point to the slides and overview article of the framework, containing
nutshell examples in ooRexx (the tilde character is an explicit message operator in ooRexx,
hence the name right of a tilde is always a message name; in case a message carries arguments
they are given as a comma-separated list in round parenthesis immediately following the message
name):

    <http://wi.wu-wien.ac.at/rgf/rexx/orx18/log4r/2007_orx18_log4r.pdf>, slides   <http://wi.wu-wien.ac.at/rgf/rexx/orx18/log4r/2007_orx18_log4r-article.pdf>,
brief overview article   <http://wi.wu-wien.ac.at/rgf/rexx/orx18/log4r/log4r_20070425.zip>,
(source of) the framework; use "vim" or "gvim" to get the ooRexx syntax highlighting to ease
reading

      <http://prog.vub.ac.be/~wdmeuter/RDL06/Flatscher.pdf>, brief overview article
of ooRexx, stressing its history, easy syntax (almost pseudo-code like) and its "human-centric"
philosophy

     A last remark ad asynchronously processing log messages: as it is very easy in ooRexx
to start and stop multithreading at any time, an environment symbol is used to control this
feature: this will cause the processing of log messages themselves to be carried out in a
multithreaded fashion. Hence the appenders themselves need not to execute asyncrhoneously
themselves (although they could in addition do that as well).

 So if the package name 'log4o' or 'log4rexx' sound reasonable (and not name-clashing) I would
plan to introduce it into the Apache realm...

 Regards,

 ---rony