On Apr 25, 2007, at 3:10 PM, Rony G. Flatscher (Apache) wrote:

Hi there,

starting out with 'log4j', I have been creating a logging framework for the scripting language "Open Object Rexx (ooRexx)" [cf. <http://www.ooRexx.org>], dubbed "log4r".

There is already a log4r which is a log4j-like logging framework for Ruby (http://log4r.sourceforge.net).

It tries to stick to the 'log4j' architecture as closely as possible, OTOH it tries to improve a few little things, like it allows for creating named layouts and named filters, or using strictly "log4r.config." as the lead-in string for all general configuration options in properties files.

There will be an overview article which will demonstrate how to employ the 'log4r' framework for ooRexx programs, a brief overview of the architecture, of the classes, a documentation on defining configuration entries in properties files.

The planned licenses are CPL 1.0 and Apache 2.0.

As I have created the framework being inspired by and adhering quite closely to 'log4j', and seeing that comparable frameworks for other programming languages exist and seem to be hosted/incorporated at/into commons-logging, I am wondering, whether there would be interest in adding the 'log4r' framework to the 'log4j' family of frameworks?

There are two different things that you might be suggesting and they are substantially different.  One is to add your log4r to the list of third-party logging inspired by frameworks that we maintain on the logging.apache.org site.  There should be no difficulty on that other than the inertia of our web-site maintenance (and there is some light at the end of the tunnel on addressing that).

The second is to have log4r to become part of the ASF Logging Services project.  There has been an interest in logging frameworks for scripting languages within the project and I would expect the PMC would be receptive to a project that wanted to come in that had a good likelihood of developing a viable developer and user community.  However, the incubation of log4php was recently terminated due to a failure to grow beyond the original author.

Since the existing work was done outside of a community, it would need to go through the incubation process (http://incubator.apache.org) before entering logging services proper.  I'm thinking that the recently formed Apache Labs (http://labs.apache.org) might be a good place to start particularly if you think that log4r might become a candidate to go through the incubation process.  That would significantly reduce all the legal issues involved with getting CLA's for all the contributors etc on an eventual trip through the incubator.  Since you have an @apache.org email address, likely you could start a lab with little or no effort.

The dual licensing would become an issue when you have contributions from others.  You would retain the copyright of all code that you write and can license it as many ways as you would like, but you would not automatically be granted rights to distribute contributes from others under any other license than the ASL.

If I am using the wrong e-mail list, please let me know.

This is the right list for these types of discussions.