logging-general mailing list archives

From "Rony G. Flatscher (Apache)" <r...@apache.org>
Subject 'log4r' - a new 'log4j' like framework about to be released ...
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2007 20:10:55 GMT
Hi there,

starting out with 'log4j', I have been creating a logging framework for
the scripting language "Open Object Rexx (ooRexx)" [cf.
<http://www.ooRexx.org>], dubbed "log4r".

It tries to stick to the 'log4j' architecture as closely as possible,
OTOH it tries to improve a few little things, like it allows for
creating named layouts and named filters, or using strictly
"log4r.config." as the lead-in string for all general configuration
options in properties files.

The initial implementation of the 'log4r' frameworks implements the
following classes:

    * LogManager (can be used to create/retrieve loggers, appenders,
      layouts, filters by name)
    * LogLog (can be used by the framework classes for log messages)
    * classes for creating loggers:
          o Log
                + SimpleLog
                + NoOpLog
    * classes for creating appenders:
          o Appender
                + ConsoleAppender
                + FileAppender
                      # DailyRollingFileAppender
                      # RollingFileAppender
                + NullAppender
                + TelnetAppender
    * classes for creating layouts
          o Layout
                + PatternLayout
                      # HTMLLayout
                      # XMLLayout
                + SimpleLayout
    * classes for creating filters
          o Filter
                + DateRangeFilter
                + DenyAllFilter
                + LevelMatchFilter
                + LevelRangeFilter
                + MonthRangeFilter
                + StringMatchFilter
                + TimeRangeFilter
                + WeekdayRangeFilter

There will be an overview article which will demonstrate how to employ
the 'log4r' framework for ooRexx programs, a brief overview of the
architecture, of the classes, a documentation on defining configuration
entries in properties files.

The planned licenses are CPL 1.0 and Apache 2.0.

As I have created the framework being inspired by and adhering quite
closely to 'log4j', and seeing that comparable frameworks for other
programming languages exist and seem to be hosted/incorporated at/into
commons-logging, I am wondering, whether there would be interest in
adding the 'log4r' framework to the 'log4j' family of frameworks?

If I am using the wrong e-mail list, please let me know.

Very interested in your comments/hints.

View raw message