logging-general mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Inactive PMC members
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2007 23:08:30 GMT

On Feb 8, 2007, at 3:18 PM, Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> Michael Catanzarati is the founder of the log4cxx project. Marco
> Vassura is the founder of log4php. Mark Womack served as the previous
> chair of LS. I am the founder of log4j as well as the Logging Services
> project.
>
> Do you think excluding the above listed persons will serve the best
> interests of the Logging Services project?

Changing the bylaws requires 2/3 majority of active PMC members.
Graduating log4net from the incubator may take 2/3 majority if you
consider it "adoption of a new codebase".  Since there are currently
12 PMC members, the missing 4 would be sufficient to block all but
unanimous decisions from the other PMC members when a vote requires
2/3 majority.  As a PMC member, they should be monitoring this
mailing list and I have sent them an individual email to request that
they update this mailing list on their status and inform them that
there may be upcoming votes that require their participation.  I
would not want to declare them emeritus for procedural reasons
without giving them ample opportunity to make their presence known.

> I'd would also like to remind you that I recently nominated a
> well-respected and longtime contributor to the log4j project as a
> committer only to be (regrettably) blocked for using the
> "wrong" mailing list.
>
> The log4j project lost an opportunity to add a valuable contributor to
> its list of committers. Of course, you could still put your weight
> behind that nomination. (It's not too late.)

I assume that you are discussing the discussion on
private@logging.apache.org on 2006-10-25 and following.  I can't
quote your message from the private list, but my response was:

> I haven't found the email that described to migration away from
> pmc@ mailing lists to private@ mailing lists, but I believe the
> general idea was private@ should only be used when the discussion
> required confidentiality.  Voting on a new committer or PMC member
> might be a little sensitive, but you'd want to have a public record
> of the vote and so it should be on one of the publicly archived
> mailing lists.  Also, if a person does not have a history of
> submitting patches that would allow us to judge his code-fu, but
> you believe that he can contribute to project governance, then
> possibly voting on him as a PMC member makes more sense (which
> would occur on the general@logging mailing list).
>
> Let's move this discussion to general@logging.apache.org if you
> wish to talk about process or call a vote on PMC membership or
> log4j-dev@logging.apache.org if you wish to call a vote for log4j
> commit rights.  If there are reasons that you believe this should
> remain confidential, discussion can remain here or better, be held
> on the general mailing lists but with specific names avoided.

the private mailing list and specifically mention that "nominees for
project, project committee or Foundation membership" can be held on
private@logging.apache.org.  I did not have that link at the time and
was recalling on just a general impression that private@ should
rarely be used.

The LS bylaws state that a new committer is voted on my the active
members of the relevant sub-project and as private@ is only available
to PMC members it can't be a forum for a subproject vote without
excluding non-PMC committers.  It does appear that you could nominate
an individual as a PMC member on private@ and hold all the
conversation about the individual on the private list.