logging-general mailing list archives

From "Yoav Shapira" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] PMC vote on Elias Ross as a new Log4j committer
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2006 22:02:57 GMT
Hi,

On 11/21/06, Curt Arnold <carnold@apache.org> wrote:
> Per the project bylaws (http://logging.apache.org/site/bylaws.html),
> it appears that both a subproject (described in the actions section)
> and PMC vote (second paragraph after Committers) are required to
> grant new commit rights.  This message is to inform the PMC of the
> results of the subproject vote and to initiate a PMC vote to confirm
> the log4j vote.

This is kind of surprising.  I thought the bylaws say lazy consensus
of the PMC, not a formal vote, so all that was required is a message
from one of the log4j committers to the logging PMC saying "hey, we've
voted this guy in, so unless you have any objections, please send an
email to root@apache.org asking for his account..."

But if a vote is required, here's my +1 again.

On a separate note, we should remove these bylaws altogether.  We just
had a discussion about this on general@incubator.a.o (see
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=incubator-general&m=116405409724466&w=2
for the key message).   Apparently project-level bylaws, like
Jakarta's from which we copied ours, are invalid in the formal sense
that we seem to be applying them here.

Yoav