logging-general mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject JavaScript (was Re: Quarterly Report to the Board)
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 14:59:00 GMT

On Aug 3, 2006, at 7:26 AM, Stephan Strittmatter wrote:

> I think the time is now worth to think about a JavaScript logging
> framework hosted on Apache Logging site. What do you think? In the
> last
> months there have came up a lot of frameworks in this direction. I
> collected them partly on
> http://log4js.berlios.de/links.html#otherProjects and the list is
> still
> growing.
>
> IMHO it is a good idea to consolidate this big set to a solid
> framework
> on Apache.
>
> Yes, I have also designed such a framework (when starting I found
> no one
> else doing that 1,5 years ago) together with Seth, but I can see
> there a
> lot other worthy frameworks which could be probably merged together on
> Apache Logging.
>
> What do you think about this?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Stephan Strittmatter

I'm supportive but personally resource constrained.  If a JavaScript
framework (or frameworks) were to happen in Logging Services, their
would need to be new contributors making substantial contributions in
time and effort.

I think the best next step would be to establish mechanisms for
discussion and brainstorming and then inviting authors of JavaScript
frameworks and other interested parties to discuss what could or
should be done.  Some possible mechanisms (one or more could be used):

a log4js JIRA project
a log4js Wiki
a sandbox area in the SVN

Any others?

I'm not sure that it is a good idea to try to unify one
implementation, but I think it would be beneficial to try to define
(likely not rigorously) a spec and provide one or more interoperable
implementation and a test suite.

Potential implementations:

JavaScript bridge to log4net that would be useful for ASP.NET code so
that logging from the script code could be interspersed with
traditional log4net logging from .NET components.

Same thing for Java using log4j.

"Pure" javascript implementation for browser-side code.

Others?

I'd appreciate comments, suggestions and indications of interest.