Great, you feel log4j is a good mechanism for auditing.  Where auditing is as a category of logged messages.  Thanks for the info.

Pat

On Jun 14, 2006, at 6:54 PM, Pat Felsted wrote:

> Thanks for the response.  So are you suggesting there is a better
> way to audit, since you say the purpose of log4j is diagnostics?
> If so do you have suggestions?
>
> Thanks again.
> Pat

That was not what I was saying.  I was saying that log4j is capable
of serving many different roles, but since diagnostic logging is the
most common use, people think it is the only thing it can do well.
In the same way, they think that logger names have to be the same as
class names.  I was suggesting using loggers named after business
entities or actions for "audit" type messages and loggers named after
classes for "diagnostic" type messages.  In your configuration, you
can disable or route the diagnostic messages to an destination
appropriate for diagnostians and route the audit messages to a
destination appropriate for auditors.