logging-general mailing list archives

From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject Chainsaw releases
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2006 00:16:30 GMT
Chainsaw is in a bit of a grey area right now with regard to releases - Chainsaw is officially
a part of the log4j project, but has its own svn repository.  Chainsaw's in gump, but doesn't
have a test module.

I want to make sure we're following the right processes (I feel more than a bit awkward that
I brought up tests failing during the latest log4j alpha vote when Chainsaw doesn't event
have tests), and I'd like us to discuss what the appropriate release process for Chainsaw
looks like.

We create releases that are available via Chainsaw's web page in binary form as a zip of jars,
a Web Start link, and a Mac dmg.

The dependencies include:
- the most recent log4j alpha jars (1.3alpha7 currently)
- xstream-1.1.2
- commons-vfs-1.0-rc3
- commons-logging-api.jar (not sure of version, Paul?)
- jakarta-oro-2.0.6

What do we agree is the appropriate release process?  Does an alpha log4j release imply a
Chainsaw alpha release?  Are they separate votes?  I would like to see Chainsaw remain a part
of the log4j project officially - since Chainsaw has integrated log4j features significantly
(loggingevent objects, receiver support).

Also, Paul and myself are the only active committers, which would make votes outside the log4j
project problematic without help from the PMC.

Thoughts?

Scott Deboy
COMOTIV SYSTEMS
111 SW Columbia Street Ste. 950