logging-general mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ANN] log4js - logging for JavaScript
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:36:51 GMT

On Nov 21, 2005, at 3:29 AM, Stephan Strittmatter wrote:

> Hello Arnold,
>
> you are speaking out of my soul. It is not required to have "my"
> version of
> logging at Apache. I and Seth already contacted some of the authors
> (or
> tried) you are refered as links.
> My intention is first to have a API for logging, which is as most as
> possible the same than log4j.
> Having a Sandbox would be really great. I would then invite all the
> guys to
> have a look there.
> The idea is to focus all these ideas and energy to one project
> where you
> have not to think about which API should I use now.
>
> When do you think, we could get such a sandbox? Currently it is very
> difficult to exchange the sources via mail.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Stephan

There is a process for accepting existing code bases into ASF and a
another process for granting commit rights to the ASF SVN.  Both of
which are designed to protect the integrity of the Apache brand and
that any legal issues down the road are minimized.  The process for
accepting existing code bases is particularly demanding.  If you are
CVS or SVN to continue work on your framework in the short term, I
would suggest looking elsewhere.  Either ask the guy who has
log4js.sourceforge.net to give you rights to his CVS (he doesn't seem
to be using it), or find another free or commercial hosting service.
I'd much rather pitch in to fund a commercial hosting service than to
mess with the Incubation Process unless there is a compelling reason.

Starting a sandbox effort is not terribly complicated.  The "sandbox"
concept is basically an area where the existing committers have a
place to experiment and possibly fail.   Not sure whether we can
build a community around a logging framework for JavaScript, but it
does seem a noble experiment and worth the effort to try.

Given the significance of starting a JavaScript sandbox, it is worth
some discussion before an eventual vote is called.  Everyone is
welcome to vote but only the votes of the existing committers are
binding.  Once set up, there would be an directory in the Logging
Services sandbox with public read-access but commit rights would be
restricted to existing Logging Services committers until such time as
the Project Management Committee decides to grant other individuals
commit rights per the existing by-laws (http://logging.apache.org/
site/bylaws.html).  Commit rights are not lightly bestowed, so expect
to work with an existing committer for a while.

If there is some consensus that development should proceed, then
those individuals who expect to work on the project should sign an
Contributors License Agreement (http://www.apache.org/licenses) to
clearly define the terms of their contributions.  If the effort in
the sandbox develops something useful and a community around it, then
it could be promoted to a full-fledged product of the Logging
Services Project.  Otherwise, it will stick around as a noble, but
failed, experiment.