logging-general mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JULI leaving Apache
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2005 05:29:40 GMT
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005, Boris Unckel <boris.unckel.mlg@gmx.net> wrote:

> I still have a few questions: I have signed an contributor agreement
> and a license agreement which gives all rights on the code to
> Apache. How will it be treated? (My hope: As it was never there).

You still hold the copyright to your own version of the sources, you
can do with them whatever you want.  No, I'm not a lawyer, but it is
not illegal for a German non-lawyer to tell you what I've seen as
practice in similar situations in other projects ;-)

Just make sure you don't trip over trademark issue, i.e. don't call
your code Apache JULI or something like that.

> The project will be published under the Apache 2.0 license.

This is a good idea, but entirely your choice.

> The code basis was log4j/JCL: How do I have to treat the "Copyright
> 200x-200y The Apache Software Foundation " line?

Simply start from source that dodn't have those lines.

> What about new files (not with derived work)?

The Apache Software License doesn't care about derived work, use
whatever you want for new files.

> As I understand the package name org.apache.juli has to be changed.

Yes.

Stefan