logging-general mailing list archives

From "Kalcevich, Daniel" <dkalcev...@firstam.com>
Subject RE: Two Loggers - overwriting files
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2005 19:33:21 GMT
They will overlap in that the web application is online all day.  But
the batch is set to run during the night, which when it does, there will
be two JVM's running.

I think what I am looking to find out is if Log4j will over write the
log file that the web is writing to when the 2nd JVM starts up?  The
following is what my scenario is:

- The Web App starts up and creates a log file called activity.log.
- The batch process starts up (via a separate JVM), sees the file is
already there, and continues to write to it (as the Web App could as
well).

Thanks.

Daniel

-----Original Message-----
From: Andreas Fester [mailto:afester@apache.org]
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 11:19 AM
To: Log4J Users List; Kalcevich, Daniel
Cc: general@logging.apache.org
Subject: Re: Two Loggers - overwriting files

Kalcevich, Daniel wrote:
> Everyone,
>

> I have an application that runs from a Web Interface as well as from a
> command line state.  The problem I am having is that when the batch
job

Do the two applications run at the same time (i.e. does the batch job
run while the web application is also running), or do they run mutually
exclusive?
For the former, AFAIK it is not possible, because log4j does not
synchronize write access to the same file from within different VMs.

Regards,

	Andreas