logging-general mailing list archives

From "Trenton D. Adams" <tre...@athabascau.ca>
Subject taking advantage of JDK enhancements
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2005 03:41:40 GMT
Hi everyone,

I'm just curious if you guys think it would be beneficial to provide
factories for various objects in the log4j project, so that one could
choose to use the new objects, in the event they use a newer version of
java.  Or, even auto detect the newer version of java, and use them
automatically.

For instance.  I noticed that LocationInfo gets the location information
by parsing the output of the strack trace.  In java 1.4, there is
something called "StackTraceElement", which has all of this information.
  The throwable object can give this to you.  The time it takes is
significantly less than log4j's parsing.  I did a loop of 1M, logging a
simple line of text each time.  Printing out the stack trace info, such
as line number, took about 0.06ms, whereas it took 0.3ms with log4j.
So, it took approximately 60 seconds to run through the whole loop.  Not
printing it took 30 seconds.  Given the extremely high performance of
this method of obtaining stack trace info, I use it in all of my logs. :)

Here's an example.
         Logger logger;
         Throwable th;
         StackTraceElement[] ste;

         th = new Throwable();
         ste = th.getStackTrace();

         if (ste.length == 0)
         {
             // no stack trace -- bad
             logger = AGeneralStatic.logger;
         }
         else
         {
             int idx = 0;
             if (ste.length > 2)
             {
                 idx = 2;
             }
             logger = LogManager.getLogger(ste[idx].getClassName() + "." +
                 ste[idx].getMethodName());
         }

So, instantiating LocationInfo through a factory would definitely be
beneficial, as you could simply instantiate different objects based on
the JDK that is currently running.  Then, all I have to do to get line
numbers is add the %L, and wham, I've got them with very high performance.

__
---