logging-general mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to define a second logger only for errors?
Date Sun, 09 Oct 2005 14:12:21 GMT

On Oct 9, 2005, at 2:11 AM, Zsolt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use 1.2.12. I would like to define two loggers. The first one should
> contain everything, the second only the errors. How can I do that?
>
> Zsolt

log4j-user would be the appropriate mailing list for that.
general@logging.apache.org is for discussion on matters that affect
more than one of the Logging Services projects.  If you have follow
up, please repost to that mailing list and not
general@logging.apache.org.

I don't have time to discuss the scenario at the moment, but I might
start you down the right path and rereading the Short Intro or other
documentation might make more sense.

It would be uncommon and undesirable to have separate loggers for
different severities (info, warn, debug, etc).  Loggers typically
correspond to implementation classes (for example,
com.example.gui.SomeWidget) or some particular topic (database,
security).  Think of a logger as a topic of conversation and the
level as the tone of voice of speaker.

It would be common to have multiple appenders attached to the same
logger but differing in the threshold of messages they process.  A
way to think of it would be if court reporter and a newspaper writer
were listening to the same testimony in a court of law.  The court
reporter would attempt to write down everything that was said, the
newspaper writer would only take notes when he thought the testimony
was interesting and would discard most of the things he heard.

In your situation, I would suggest attaching two appenders (like a
listener to a conversation) to the root logger and setting the
threshold of one of the appenders to ERROR.