logging-general mailing list archives

From Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JULI proposal
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2005 13:26:11 GMT
Hi,

> The system property to recognize JULI is a misunderstanding:
> JULI is behind jul:
> User perspective:
> java.util.logging.Logger myLoggerForMyWebAppClass =
> java.util.logging.Logger.getLogger("MyWebAppClass");

Right, which is why I see it as a java.util.logging extension.

> Current Tomcat JULI and the one provided by me do not differ in the way jul
> loads them during the bootstrap phase (via static constructor inside
> java.util.logging.LogFactory). This is the official, documented, and
> intended way of SUN to do this.

Yup, we know, that's why we did it that way for Tomcat.

> JCL could decide for one JVM instance to use a wrapper class to jul or to

The JVM instance is the wrong granularity: we want to enable per-webapp
differences within the same JVM instance.

> JULI is not a YALI - yet another logging implementation. It is an add-on to
> the current java.util.logging.*

I'd argue it is YALI, but that's getting into semantic details.

>  :-)  Hm, once there was Logger inside the Apache world and JDK 1.3 had no
> logger. Sun (or the JCP) did not take the code but the concepts
> for brewing their own cocktail for JDK1.4. I do not believe that Sun or the
> JCP will do anything about it.

Give it a shot.  JSE 5 has been much better at incorporating these things on a
timely basis.

> Open source is one step ahead of the JSE and JEE world, but most things are
> not in the next JSE or JEE release.

Right, except what you're suggesting is a direct extension to an existing JSE
API that is along the lines of announced plans by Sun for that JSE API.

> If Apache formally rejects JULI I still can publish it elsewhere
> under the same license, with my personal copyright and by renaming
> the top level package.

I would go ahead and publish it.  Feel free to advertise it on the logging and
tomcat user lists, see what kind of feedback and adoption occur.  And I would
also put in a BugParade RFE with these enhancements, if only so you can get
some credit when Sun does this in JSE 5 Update 5 or 6.

Yoav

Yoav Shapira
System Design and Management Fellow
MIT Sloan School of Management