logging-general mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JULI proposal
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2005 15:18:43 GMT

On Sep 25, 2005, at 3:27 PM, Boris Unckel wrote:
> - the "J"ava."U"til."L"ogging "I"mplementation does _not_
> implement the API as described in JSR-47 or implemented as in J2E
> 1.4+. It
> just adds features to the existing API.

Do you see why we might be confused?  But we can worry about the
naming later.

> Do you have  a Contributor's License Agreement
> (http://www.apache.org/licenses) on  file?
> If I understand the question right: No, I did not sign an agreement
> on paper
> and send it to the Apache Foundation. I will do this if needed.

It will be necessary before anything can be done with the code and in
this case, likely a Software Grant Agreement would need to be
executed and potentially a Corporate Contributor License Agreement
depending on your employment situation.

>> Do you think that the code would need to go through the Incubator
>>
> (http://incubator.apache.org)
> Yes. As I understand the process, one has to provide several things,
> but one has not to provide all that tasks at once.
> Hopefully some people will help me to success working on the
> checklists.
> As I stated - I am looking for a "sandbox" (like Jakarta Commons), you
> call it "incubator". By the way - what is the difference?

Incubator is the mechanism that non-ASF code is brought into ASF.  If
you are IBM and want to donate a database (Derby) or a SourceForge
project (log4net, log4cxx) that wants to move to ASF, you must go
through the incubation process to make sure that the transfer of
intellectual property rights is legally defendable and that a healthy
community is formed.

A sandbox is an area for Apache developers to experiment.  The code
is ASF code (due to our CLA's and our intentionally committing of the
code to the Apache SVN) from the beginning and does not need the
legal review necessary for an incubated project.  Sandbox efforts may
or may not result in a viable long term product.

>> Is JULI an acronym?  If so, what is the full name?
>>
> Java Util Logging Implementation. The name was invented on the
> log4j-dev
> mailing list in march/april 2005. Please do not fix me on the date,
> I have
> to look this up.

Changing "Implementation" to "Integration" might preserve the acronym
while bringing it closer to what the code does.